March 20, 2010 - Training


I rode up to Morrow Mountain and back today, 102 miles with 5,970 feet of climbing. It was 48 degrees when I left this morning and 78 as I returned this afternoon. Got a little sunburn and felt the effect of heat for the first time this year. The route was very challenging as usual. I averaged 58 feet of ascent per mile. Well above the 32 per mile we'll average on the tour. Especially challenging to my knees were: Mountain View Church Road, Austin Road, River Road and of course the last mile to the top of the mountain. I took the ride as a survival exercise, not worrying about my speed, just staying on the bike and practicing my spinning with the smaller compact crank. There are only 3 days on the tour that will require this amount of climbing. I also missed having a drafting partner today. The head winds whipped up as it got warmer. I made two conveniece store stops coming and going in Albemarle. A good day. A real confidence builder. However, I could sure use a new set of knees. I used mine up running for 20 years. Down to a well hydrated 166 pounds. Going to try and do a flatter century tomorrow after church, if it doesn't rain.