April 28, 2010 - Tour


We left Tucumcari, New Mexico this morning at 7:30, it was 48 degrees. It also was very windy, but once we got on Highway 53 East, the wind began to work in our favor. It was at our back all the way into Dalhart, Texas, where I'm at tonight. Today was relatively easy, we only had to ride 96 miles, and with the wind, we averaged 21 mph. I got in early enough to get a haircut.
The haircut was a short one, should hold me till we reach Savannah. It was interesting to go the barbershop, I think they are the same in all cities, a bunch of middle aged men sitting around talking about politics and the weather. They had a field day with me, asking me a dozen questions, and making suggestions about how I could better spend my time, other than riding a bike across country. About 50 miles into today's ride we crossed into Texas. I'm the guy (top photo) in yellow with my buddy Rick from Florida, an excellent cyclist. Headed to Pampa, Texas tomorrow, 112 miles.