April 3, 2010 - Training


Quite an unusual week. I had a windy 26 mile ride Monday, then had injections of Synvisc-One in both knees Tuesday morning. This is a substance to lubricate and cushion bad knees, primarily geared toward those of us with arthritis, I have two such knees. The injection pain was so bad it made it impossible for me to ride for two days. I did some riding on the spinning bike Wednesday, then 100 up to Salisbury Easter Friday. This was an adventure, as I had the rear hub on my older white Trek, see the picture above, come apart around mile 40. It became like a car tire without all the lug nuts tightened. The wheel had about a half inch travel which caused it to sway as I rode, and bounce from brake pad to brake pad. It made it hard to steer the bike coming back home, and the drag on the wheel was terrible for speed. I thought about calling for a ride, but decided to tough-it-out. The temperature was 55 degrees at the start, but rose to 87 at the finish. I got more sunburn. I went to bed early Friday, got up and rode another 100 on the spinning bike at 4 am. My primary bike is in the shop getting upfitted for the tour, so I had no bike to ride outside. I have my wheel fixed now, and will ride 40 miles Sunday afternoon to give me 300 for the week. I'm down to 164 pounds, and feel fit. The trip is getting closer, I leave for San Diego on the 16th. I ship my bike this coming week. I'm planning on riding 400 miles next week, including two centuries next weekend, then taking the following week off to rest up for the tour. Listening to some Gary Moore "Still Got the Blues" right now. Great album.