May 14, 2010 - Tour Conclusion

We rode from Valdai, Georgia to Savannah today. We actually made our way over to Tybee Island near Savannah, so we could have access to the Atlantic ocean. The weather was already warm when we left this morning. I started out with a group of 4 at 7:00 am, in a hurry to get to Savannah by 2 pm, to meet the visitors waiting on our arrival. We were in a quick pace-line at 20 mph for the first 35 miles. We actually made enough progress where we had to slow things down and take a break to keep us from arriving too early. The last 30 of the 103 miles were tough, we rode into a headwind coming off the ocean, and thru heavy traffic. Once we arrived at Tybee Island I spotted my wife Robbie, and ten friends from EDA welcoming me to the ocean finish with Tee-Shirts saying "Team Scott." They had also erected a large 6 foot poster from EDA everyone had signed. I made my way to the Atlantic ocean and dipped my bike wheels, a cross country tradition, several weeks earlier I had dipped the same bike wheels in the Pacific ocean at Costa Mesa, California. I then hung out with our EDA crew on the beach, it was good to sit in a lawn chair and just take it easy. Later this evening we had a banquet for those completing the ride. I was honored with the only award given, not for being the best rider, but for being the rider with the most Determination and best Attitude. I was humbled, since I was a mediocre rider at best, compared to the young skilled racers and tri-athletes in the room. As our ride leader, Mike Monk (a proffesional cyclist himself) closed the meeting, he reminded us we were the most fit, best prepared group, with the best attitudes, of any of the 57 cross country tours he'd ever led. What a struggle, but what a rewarding experience. Click Below for Beach Video