May 7, 2010 - Tour

Left for dead. We got into a lot of headwinds and crosswinds today and I got dropped. Which in cycling means all the other cyclists ride off without you and leave you by yourself. First time I've finished last on this tour, had problems with my saddle and made a change at the lunch stop, which, in combination with the headwinds, put me a couple miles behind the last cyclists. However, I consider this my best ride of the 20 or so we've done, because even though the wind was very difficult, and the temperature at 88 degrees, and my saddle was not working right, I didn't quit, I rode in by myself, at the end of the 113 miles I was sunburnt and tired, but felt strong. We ride 138 miles tomorrow with 5,800 feet of climbing, so I need to be strong. Here is a picture of me when I got back to the hotel, note the EDA jersey.Kind of rambling here, just ate supper. It was a chicken sandwich from the Wendy's at our parking lot. Got a Frosty also. Got a couple of great care-packages today, I always get more stuff than anyone else. Got cards and great snacks from EDA, and my friend Ron Horton sent me some home-made chocolate chip cookies. My favorite gift so far has been from Jamie Whitaker, that would be the Village Naturals Mineral Bath Soak. I've used it a few times now, including this evening, and it's better than the massage I paid for on our rest day. It's got Eucalyptus in it, smells up the room pretty good, my roommate tolerates it. Thanks Jamie. We crossed over the Mississippi river today.
I took this shot at a dangerous point on the bridge, not much room between me and the traffic, it was really full due to the tornado and flooding in the area last week. Really tired, a tough day ahead tomorrow.