April 11, 2010 - Training

Because of my foot injury Tuesday evening, I have spent the past few days swimming at the Simmons YMCA. I'm averaging an hour a day, but swam 3 non-stop hours Saturday morning. I had no problem with my endurance, because of the training I've done over the past few months. I took Sunday off, staying off my feet after returning from church. Just trying to rest my foot, knees, and my body in general, for the tour. I'm at 163 pounds, swimming really burns up calories, and I'm using different muscles than normal. I'm anxious about the trip, I leave Friday afternoon. I'm trying to balance rest with what conditioning I may lose from not cycling for 10 days. My opinion is, if I show up with healed, or well rested, knees and a foot in better condition; the better I'll do riding a bike for 25 days. I don't see having an opportunity to rest anything once things begin. I'm making every effort to keep my weight down this week, as I won't be burning the calories I'm used to. To show up for the ride as lite as possible helps my chances on the hills, and weight is something I should not have to worry about as we begin the ride, we'll easily burn up 6,000 calories per day.