April 7, 2010 - Training

Now a Swimmer? At the end of a 40 mile bike ride last night, I developed significant pain in the outer portion of my right foot. It was about 91 degrees and windy coming back from the Reed Gold Mine area; and I was having to stand a lot to beat the wind. I'm assuming the weight on my foot caused the injury. I went to the orthopedist this morning, and after reviewing the garden variety x-rays, he saw no fracture in the foot, but it could be a stress fracture only visible by having an MRI. He said the lack of fluid build up in the foot was a good sign the injury was not significant, and advised me to cut back on my training for the next 10 days. So, it looks like I'll stay off the bike and devote some time each day to swimming. This should keep my weight down (I'm 163 pounds today), and keep my cardiovascular system in good shape. I hate to miss 10 days of cycling before the tour, but this time should give my over-trained body an opportunity to rest and heal. I'll be in he pool tonight.